Tuesday, December 9, 2008

a feel good moment

The best way to feel good about
yourself is to do something good for someone else.
I just had the most heartfelt moment. Coming home from work in the pouring rain I was about to turn onto my street, but had to maneuver around a car that had pulled to the side. I made it up my driveway into my garage when I saw headlights behind me. A little old woman got out of the car and skittered up my driveway. She asked what street this was and how to get to her street.

When I tried to explain the simple directions, she became very confused and started to panic. I felt how scared she must be, disoriented by the dark and glare that the rain caused. I said if she just gave me a moment I would get in my car and lead her to her street. And so I did.

About a mile away, I turned onto her street and pulled to the side. I walked back to her car. She was smiling, relieved. She said this was her house and promptly invited me in for coffee...what a sweetheart. I had to decline as my daughter was waiting for a ride, but I wished her a Merry Christmas and honked a friendly goodbye. She stood in her driveway, in the rain, waving me off.

She had said, "Bless you for years and years for helping me". Little did she know I'd already been blessed. I'm blessed every day of my life, in fact. But driving the mile back home to get my daughter I was overwhelmed with the warm and fuzzies. It was an instant reward. I couldn't wait to share my story with my daughter, and with you.

No comments: