Friday, February 6, 2009

$1,000,000 (or more)

Isn't it fun to think about what you'd do if you came into a ton of money all of a sudden? Last week, when I was feeling a bit depressed, I picked up a piece of paper and made a list of all the people I'd like to bless with "my new fortune".

My ailing boss was the first to come to mind, I thought I'd throw him $50,000 so he wouldn't have to worry about making mortgage payments while he's going through his chemo treatments, unable to work. I would hope there'd be some extra that he could send his son and grandson who live across the country. They've only been able to visit him once since the onset of his illness because they are struggling financially. I'd like my boss to be able to see the 2-yr. old grandson he so adores, to bring him pleasure while he's recovering.

CJ would also get $50,000. He used to be a teacher, and that's what he truly wants to return to. For the last few years he's been installing floors for his brother's business. Due to reasons beyond CJ's control, there is little work anymore and he's scraping. I'd like to ease the load for him so he can go back to school to regain his teacher's certification.

Believe it or not, I'd give my ex $50,000 too. Although he did a lot of things I did not like, he did a lot of things right too. And one of them was being a provider. So I think I'd honor him with a monetary gift. Also it may show him once and for all I'm not nickel and diming him and that I'm not the evil person he thinks I am. Or maybe it would be really funny if I gave him one nickel and one dime.

My girlfriend (former co-worker that I carpooled with daily until she got laid off) was also on my list. She plays the lottery religiously and always said she'd take care of me if she won a million. So I'd give her $50,000. I hope she wouldn't be disappointed.

Let's see...my daughters get a bigger chunk of my windfall. Maria would get an immediate $5,000 for clothes (should hold her over for a month) and a brand new (modest) car. I'd deposit $100,000 in a bank account for her, not to be touched for a time period. I don't believe in handing over loads of money to my children. I wouldn't want to rob them of the opportunity to learn how to earn it themselves, and the satisfaction and confidence to control one's own future that working brings.

Christie would get some cash up front too, but she doesn't really like shopping much. Too young to drive, so I'd throw $125,000 in a bank account for her.

My mom and sister would each get $50,000. I want my mom to be able to take that trip to the Amalfi Coast that she's been wanting for the last decade. My sister needs to get out of her marriage and needs some cash flow to go full force into her new business. How fun it is to ease peoples' lives. I LOVE THIS!!!!

Rob, my lover and best friend...I'd give him $100,000 as a token, but he really doesn't need much to live on. And since I plan to be with him on a permanent basis, we should share in my riches, my riches are his riches.

Let's see, is there any left? I'd like to have a pocket full of $100 bills to hand out randomly when the desire strikes me. I do like to shop, but seldom take the time to do so. Plus I'm pretty frugal and can talk myself out of a purchase without much effort. However, I think I'd shed that habit and indulge in a few trifles--clothes, shoes, entertainment, a sportscar, an everyday car, a few trips a year, a weekly massage and manicure/pedicure, new furniture, maybe even a new house.

But you know what? Thinking about the material things I could have for myself is not nearly as uplifting as imagining the reactions of everyone else I share my money with. I can see them, one by one, as I hand over the check, and they are so excited, so thankful, so relieved. I feel good.

What a great exercise that was.

No comments: