Saturday, February 14, 2009

OMG in FLA

This is the coolest story from my trip to Florida. I couldn't wait to tell my family when I got home. I knew it would give them goosebumps.

Before Rob & I went to Florida together, I collected visitor's guides and did my usual research to familiarize myself with the area. I do this so that I can maximize our time and money while we're away, since we don't get away very often. This sure beats driving aimlessly looking for restaurants or hot spots to visit.

We were headed to Sanibel/Captiva Island on the last leg of our Florida trip. The island's guide that I ordered listed all the places to eat and described them, their menu, pricing etc. I came across a restaurant called Gramma Dot's. Well, they could have served pig's feet and tripe for all I cared, but I knew I had to go there. Dot was my grandma's name, and she had died only the year before.

Lucky for us, the restaurant served great seafood and just happened to be situated on one of the most exclusive yacht club's on Sanibel. It was beautiful there, and the day couldn't have been lovelier. See the pretty boat? (I am not a boat person, but she sure is purty!)

OK, so I'm all excited that I've found this treasure of a restaurant, and feeling all warm and fuzzy remembering Gram and how I was absolutely convinced that I was her favorite grandchild (of 6). She had a knack for making me feel special.

As we walk up the path to the restaurant we see this funny little figure sort of standing guard at the entrance. I remember thinking how neat that guy would look in my garden with his yellow rain gear and all.

We get a little closer and I stopped dead in my tracks. I don't know which came first, the goosebumps or the tears welling up in my eyes. I stand for a moment and stare. Rob stops too, wondering what has come over me...

There, painted onto the little figure's cap was his name, Capt. Gill.

Gil was my grandpa's name, Dot's husband of 60+ years. He'd died a few years before she did. He'd been the first close family member to die and we all missed him.

I couldn't believe my eyes. And I felt so blessed at the same time. I felt like they were saying hello to me from the great beyond.

I seriously considered snatching Capt. Gill, tossing him into the trunk of the rental car, and speeding off. However, I would have had to buy another plane ticket to get him all the way home.

No comments: