Tuesday, May 12, 2009

blue mom


This was not a Mother's Day I was looking forward to. In fact, I was afraid of how much it would hurt this year. I knew Christie would honor me with some extra lovin', but I felt that Maria's absence would just multiply the misery she left me with last time I saw her.

Christie greeted me in the morning with a hug and handed me a beautiful homemade card. Part of her heartfelt message read I will always be here for you and I will deep down, always be your little girl. She has a way of telling me exactly what I need to hear.

I travelled to visit my own mother for the afternoon and had not heard from Maria at all. My day with Mom was nice, but overlaid with a feeling of sadness as my heart felt like a piece was missing. I came home to an empty house.

As I entered my kitchen the sight of a small pink giftbag on the counter stopped me in my tracks. Maria had been here. I pulled out the pink envelope tucked inside and saw Mom written on it. Just those words, knowing they were written by the daughter who claimed to hate me, was enough to make me break down and cry.

I gathered myself and read the card. It was a long one with a beautiful verse about the endless love between a mother and daughter, an unconditional love. As amazing as the printed message was, Maria's own handwritten words were even more touching.

Mom, I love you as I always have and always will. And apart from our differences, I hope that someday we can accept, trust, forgive and be a part of each others' lives again. Happy Mother's Day.
Love, Maria

No comments: