Friday, January 7, 2011

gifts unopened


Christie's Christmas presents for her dad are still sitting on my kitchen counter. It's sad, really.

There was an early holiday celebration on my ex's side of the family, which Christie went to, but since she didn't have his presents wrapped that early, she didn't take them along. Then Christmas Day came and went. As far as I know, he didn't call her. Not sure how hard she tried to call him. Usually when I ask her to call him, she says he's never home, and that he doesn't text her back.

She says she doesn't want to be around him, that he doesn't even know her, and she wonders why I ever chose him (to marry and be her father). She says she wants Andy to be her father. That part is not sad to me. The fact that her own dad has missed the opportunity to connect with such a fantastic kid is what is sad.
He really blew it a few years ago when he behaved like a 2 year old, cursing under his breath at her, at women in general, throwing things, slamming doors. Christie got so upset at the way he treated her, and the words that he uttered, that she decided not to spend her 3 days/week at his house anymore. In fact she called me that night from his house and begged me to come and pick her up. And that's probably why she doesn't make an effort to stay in touch with him. That I do understand.

I wonder if he has any regrets. I wonder how he'll react to the news that she and I are moving to California. Will he accuse me of taking his daughter away from him? That would certainly be a twisted accusation, but it seems likely nevertheless.

No comments: