Tuesday, January 4, 2011

a most peculiar dream


Last night I dreamed I was swimming with Rob and my dog Snoop. This is strange for a couple reasons. My dog was/is terrified of water. And I never ever dream of Rob. But I found it interesting that I dreamed of 2 beings who I care greatly for and who have recently disappeared from my life.

I think it was also symbolic that I was swimming with them, because water, in my dreams, means love.

I remember the dream like a movie. My little dog walked straight down a boat launch that dropped steeply into the water. I recall feeling slightly panicked that he would drown, but soon enough I saw him rise to the surface doing the doggie-paddle (how apropos). He was also smiling! :)

Rob took a run off the end of the dock and jumped in feet first, making a splash. I waded in, and although the water was a bit cold, I started to swim out. Rob and I didn't interact much in my dream. In fact, I don't think we ever touched. I can't help wonder the relevance of our different entries into the water (love). I would actually say that it is the opposite of what I have experienced, knowing myself and Rob.

I clearly remember sitting on the dock afterwards and my dog (looking even smaller when wet) climbing up to be close to me. He was very snuggly and needy, and it felt good to have him close as we dried off in the sun.

Later in the dream I was showing Rob how I could bounce from wall to wall without ever touching the ground. That ability to float/travel above the ground is recurring in my dreams, and it's so fun that I wish I could do it in real life! It's kind of like how you push yourself away from a pool's edge underwater and the momentum just carries you. In my dreams I do it a few feet above the ground. Way cool. Rob was watching me, somewhat amused. And then the dream was over.

No comments: