Friday, November 21, 2008

change is good

I know, change is the latest buzzword, but really change has been around forever. We can't live without it. In fact, if we're not changing, we're stagnant. Or dying? Maybe I'm pushing it too far, but my point is that change is a necessity. So you might as well embrace it instead of fear it.

Usually I'm ready for change and I'm the one who instigates it. Today I've been challenged. I was informed of a change that will surely affect my life. I've been assigned an interim boss until my ailing boss returns--which will likely be at least 6 months. (At least it appears he is improving. Still in ICU, but now breathing on his own.)
The fill-in boss was hired 4 months ago and has wreaked havoc on the department she currently runs. Morale of her team has taken a serious dive, as well as business, but for some odd reason the company thinks she's great. And now they've promoted her to oversee my department too. God help us all.

However, the silver lining is this: there's gotta be something in this for me. I figure either I'm going to learn something valuable from this woman, or from working with her, or it's the kick in the pants I need to rework my resume and find something better. Actually I've been thinking about moving along since last March, so I'm not surprised I've attracted this whole chain of events.
"The world is round and the place which may seem like the end may
also be the beginning."
- Ivy Baker Priest
"We know what we are, but know not what we may be."
- William Shakespeare
"The truth is that our finest moments are most likely to occur when we
are feeling deeply uncomfortable, unhappy, or unfulfilled.
For it is only in such moments, propelled by our discomfort, that we are
likely to step out of our ruts and start searching for different ways or truer answers."
- M. Scott Peck
"It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent,
but the one most responsive to change."
- Charles Darwin
"Life is a process of becoming, a combination of states we have to
go through. Where people fail is that they wish to elect
a state and remain in it. This is a kind of death."
- Anais Nin

Now, if I can just keep my thoughts moving in a positive direction...

No comments: