Friday, November 7, 2008

clytie waited

Waited

Hit the ground
Weighed down again
You walked out
But I'm sure you're my friend

It must have been good
This can't be for good
Everyone's...Is everyone ok

I waited, oh I waited
But I must be too dumb to be proud
Because I waited, waited

Woke to sounds
I prayed you were there
I fell back down
But I'm sure you still care

It must have been good
This can't be for good
Everyone's...Is everyone ok


I waited, oh I waited
But I must be too dumb to be proud
Because I waited, waited
This song by Our Lady Peace touches me. So does the story of Clytie. They remind me of Cam, how our relationship ended this year, and how I eventually saw the light. I thought he was the love of my life.

Clytie was a mythical character, a water nymph. She was in love with Apollo, the god of light and sun, who was also in love with her at one time. For reasons she couldn't accept, his love turned away from her towards someone else. She continued to pine for him, sitting on the cold ground and refusing any food or drink for nine days. She was sustained by her tears and the dew from the grass surrounding her.

Every dawn she gazed toward the sun, following it (him) through the hours till sunset. She was fixed on the thought and the sight of him. They say her limbs rooted in the ground, her face became a sunflower, which turns on its stem to face the sun throughout the day.
She waited.
Too long.

No comments: