Thursday, November 27, 2008

snoopy's bored

I came home tonight to a little note from my friendly next door neighbor:

"Your dog has again barked all day long (as he often does)."

Despite the obvious irritation that caused him to make his point three times in one sentence, I did empathize with my neighbor. It would drive me nuts too, to hear a dog bark all day long, even if the sound was muffled by a wall between us.

After feeling a pang of guilt (I wasn't aware this was happening), I felt really sad about how lonely and bored my little beagle must be. I work full-time and my girls are in school till 3pm every day, so he lives here alone for many hours a day. Side note: It was never my choice to get a dog. My ex brought him home for Maria one day, against my wishes. I love Snoop dearly, but back then I knew it would be a long term commitment that I didn't want to make. Now I make the best of it because Snoop is a member of the family.

One more issue to deal with. Add it to my list of broken computer, 10 hour work days, my boss in ICU for 3 weeks now, trying to stay on the good side of a new interim boss, Christmas season approaching, struggles with 17-yr old daughter and PMS. I don't mean to complain, just painting a picture.

I do want my dog to be happy. And my neighbor. And me. So, I'm brainstorming to solve this problem. Idea #1 is taking Snoop for a walk every morning before I leave for work. I think I'll try this before I suggest idea #2 - asking if the neighbors would like Snoop to visit them during the day. They're a retired couple, so I figure they might like the company.

And who wouldn't fall for those velvety ears and sad puppy eyes?

No comments: