Thursday, June 18, 2009

engaged not


I think life is trying to make a point with me. In the past month, two of the women I work closely with have gotten engaged.

Both times it left me feeling sad, which really isn't how I'd like to react to someone's good news. I faked happiness for their sake, of course, which any friend would do. But inside, I dropped several notches on the scale of contentedness with how-my-life-is-going. Well maybe not my entire life, per se, but for sure my relationship with Rob.

If it came right down to it, I could not say yes if Rob proposed to me now anyway. (Which is pretty ludicrous to even imagine. He is so not ready to get into anything that he doesn't have all the answers to up front.) For me, I would have to say no right now only because my daughters are not settled with everything yet. But I feel like a permanent partnership with him is the direction I've wanted and been headed for.

For Rob, there seems to be a lot more reasons why we should keep our lives separate. I'm feeling a little resentful. And maybe even thankful, because I'm starting to see him in a different light.

I lay in bed last night thinking he may not be the right one for me. It breaks my heart to actually write those words, because I've spent a long time feeling like we would be spending our lives together. I had taken many months and made a big step to allow myself to feel that way. I really was committed to making a life with him. Now to say the contrary seems like I'm actually making it official. The beginning of the end. Do I want to do this??

Yesterday I started shopping for a ring to buy Christie for her 8th grade graduation present. I tend to avoid jewelry stores, mostly because I am not an extravagant person and seldom buy jewelry for anyone. But she specifically asked for one. As I was looking at rings I found myself loving quite a few. I even tried some on for fun! I didn't find a ring for Christie during that shopping trip, but I did have a brilliant thought.

The hell with waiting for a beautiful ring as a gift. I think I'll buy myself one. And I'll wear it proudly knowing it was from someone who loves me very much. Me.

1 comment:

B said...

Just because he isn't ready to make a commitment of that level doesn't mean it won't happen; however, you may indeed be right... He may not be the right one. But perhaps he is also feeling some of the same feelings as you. Ever think to ask?