Monday, June 15, 2009

sissy

I have a sister. I've haven't blogged about her, but believe me, she is definitely worthy. We still joke about how we could write a book about the teenage antics that used to take place while Mom was at work. If I could remember those days in enough detail to tell the story, I would.

Lynn is 2 years older, but I was always the more responsible one. While she was fondly known in our family as the devil child, I was the angel child. I never ran away or had fights with Mom like she did. I saved my money while hers burned a hole through her pocket. We fought, we played. We were each other's closest companion all through the years even though we used to say we hated each other. No one can make me laugh harder than Lynn.

She was always prettier and taller than me, developed earlier, and got the guys. And she got plenty...so many that she couldn't count them all or remember all their names. She partied early, got into trouble early, and learned her lessons the hard way. She was also a wicked artist, something she dropped entirely from her adult life.

Lynn has taken the long road to get where she is. After years of living on the edge, chasing rock stars, seeing how many pairs of shoes she could own, and being a single mom, she became responsible. I think it was motherhood that did it to her. Or maybe it was the cancer. She had the "best kind" of cancer to get and has not been plagued by it again, though it changed her outlook on life and inspired a new, healthier lifestyle.

The chick who used to eat ho-hos and smoke cigarettes became a vegetarian, yoga instructor, holistic healer and belly dancer. She became a wonderful mother too, and 3 years ago married the guy who's been with her since she got pregnant with her daughter (not the father, but that's a very good thing!).

So Lynn is about to get divorced from this guy. He's actually a good guy, just not happy with himself and in denial about it. His bad moods affect everyone around him, so she just can't tolerate it anymore. Sounds kind of like the way my marriage went. Anyway, that's not the point of this blog. It's about my sister.

Once she decided she was finished with her marriage, she opened up to the possibility of a new relationship (the "Holy shit, I'm free" syndrome). So get this........Sissy's apparently fallen in love online with someone from her past. A washed up rock star. He lives on the other side of the country and they haven't spoken to or even seen each other since their ONE NIGHT stand over 25 years ago. Until a few weeks ago, that is. I'm surprised he even remembered her.

Not to be judgmental or shallow, but let's just say he's not quite the catch he used to be. Physically, anyway. Mentally, she's quite taken with him. I shudder when she tells me the things they talk about--going to Europe together, going on tour again, her moving to live with him. I take a deep breath and say "Lynn, how about one step at a time. I know it's exciting to be free again, but don't get lost in that fantasy. You've got stuff to take care of. And how about just seeing him first before flying off to Paris with him?"

It's like she's moving backwards. I've watched her stumble along for so many years, then turn things around and finally become something she is proud of. Now it seems she's returning to her old ways, and it worries me a little. But she's still my sissy and I will be there for her, as always.

No comments: