Sunday, June 28, 2009

a swallow or a chicken?


You may have seen an email recently that touted the love between mates in the animal world, in this case, swallows. In the email a series of images showed the reactions of an affectionate male swallow when its partner had swooped too low to the road and was struck by a car.

The male went through various stages including bringing her food in an attempt to soothe her, standing guard, and finally watching in bewilderment as she died on the road.

It was sad to see. I once hit a bird while driving and felt horrible about it, but couldn't do anything. And then earlier today a beautiful blue jay flew straight into the glass of my livingroom window and dropped onto my deck. Christie watched it lay on the ground writhing, beak wide open, until it stopped moving. Knowing that blue jays mate for life, all I could think about after that was his partner wondering where he was.

I forwarded the bird email to Rob with a simple question, "What would you do?" I really wanted to hear how he'd respond. Would he get the hell out of the road before another car came by and hit him? Or would he risk his life to tend to me to the bitter end?

His response:
Hard to say, it would be fun being a bird and I'd definitely be dating a swallow. First I'd have you in bed where you belong not out playing in the road, so there's no need to worry. Nothing is going to happen to you.

I had a feeling he wouldn't answer the question.

No comments: