Monday, November 23, 2009

one shitty day


I should've known from the start it was gonna be a challenging day. Or maybe I decided it would be, and so it was.

I had gone to sleep last night thinking about work (overflow stress from the day). I proceeded to dream about work a few times during the night. Even the alarm woke me from a dream that I was trying to catch a subway train to my next destination, but missed it by a few seconds. I woke up tired as if I'd been working all night too.

Today work wasn't so bad really. It was manageable. My sister called me to ask if I knew what had happened to our dad. Apparently he got moved from the physical therapy center back to the hospital. She called the hospital and couldn't get any information because my uncle is the only proxy on file. That's all fine and dandy except that he, my uncle, is 85 and dying of bone cancer, recovering at home from some chemo gone bad. (Yes, we finally found out what's wrong with him.)

So, my sister had to call my uncle to find out what's going on with our father. He's been admitted to the psych ward because he had a reaction to the anti-anxiety drug they gave him. Oh shit, back on those again...that's how he ended up in the hospital in the first place! And to top it off, when my sister asked my uncle if she could help with some of Dad's care and making medical decisions, my uncle said, Oh no, we're handling that just fine. Like hell you are.

I also talked to Andy, but our conversation was a bit flat. Maybe because I woke him up and he was a bit hungover. Or maybe because I am getting annoyed that he still hasn't responded about what he wants in a relationship. I stewed on that all the way home in my car, so I betcha that's it.

I got home and the fact that my dog was following me everywhere was really annoying me. Get a life, for God's sake! (I'm so mean.) Christie was starving, and she reminded me several times as I raced around the kitchen trying to put together a Greek pizza. Meanwhile she's laying on the couch watching tv. That was annoying too.

And she asked if her boyfriend could come over tomorrow night. I said yes. Then she added Could you please not have Rob over then? I thought this was strange. I asked why. She didn't want to say, but eventually she got annoyed with ME for asking 3 times, and said Because I don't like him and I don't want Brad to meet him. That was REALLY annoying.

The clincher was eating dinner. My beautiful Greek pizza got picked apart until it was nothing but pizza dough and feta cheese. At the side of Christie's plate was a pile of red peppers, onions, spinach, kalamata olives, chicken breast...basically all the healthy stuff I'd put on it.

I packed it up and went upstairs to my room, fired up my laptop and now I'm ranting to y'all. I feel better already.

No comments: