Monday, November 16, 2009

what i need in a man


I gave Andy a task today. I asked him to give some thought to what he needs in a relationship. He has never voiced any of his needs, only his wants and dreams and lots of beautiful imaginary visions of us together. Which is wonderful, but...

Lately I have wondered if he really knows what he wants out of a relationship, or if he ever gives it any thought. So I asked him to get back to me on it. And I told him I'd do the same for him. At the very least it will help speed up this getting-to-know-you stage.

All day long I've been trying to encapsulate what it is that I want in a partner into a few simple words. Not so easy. But I'll give it a whirl here in blogland.

What I need in a partner:
  • someone who can go deep with me - emotionally, mentally, spiritually - and challenge me
  • someone who has a genuine interest in finding out who I really am
  • honesty with a constant desire to keep it real between us
  • to be adored
  • a protector - stick up for me, hold me during scary movies, give me a kidney, whatever
  • a kind, open-minded, upbeat, non-judgmental person
  • a great lover who can be sweet, strong and an insatiable animal all in the same night
  • someone who loves to touch me
  • respectful of me and others
  • loyal and dedicated to family, and to me
  • someone who has had children
  • accepting of my children
  • non-smoker, in fact, not addicted to anything except me
  • trusting enough to open up to me
  • a confident man, but humble and imperfect
  • dependable and responsible
  • good sense of humor!
  • healthy lifestyle
  • someone with passion and a purpose
  • someone I can learn from and grow with

And here are a few things that are extremely nice to have in a partner:

  • good to look at
  • common interests
  • quality time together
  • unjaded, able to love and trust freely
  • money
  • living close, or better yet, together
  • someone as clean as I am
  • intelligence
  • patience
  • a handy guy who will look out for me and my car/furnace/plumbing
  • someone with good taste
  • great communicator
  • someone who knows me better than I know myself

No comments: