Friday, April 16, 2010

last chance to love


Some people are better than others at doing the tough stuff. They're the ones who are always there to help, whether it be a little old lady trying to cross the street, organizing a fundraiser, rescuing someone in trouble, joining the services to fight for their country, or support a friend in their last days on earth.

No task seems too gruelling for these extraordinary individuals. They think nothing of putting their time, their energy, their emotion, even their lives on the line, for the benefit of others.

I have such a friend. He is forever helping. He is a former Marine, father of four, grandfather of four (so far), and a truly inspirational and loving soul. He lives a simple life, unencumbered by the need to succeed at a career, but the man has riches beyond what most of us will ever have. It certainly may never have been our purpose, but it's clearly his. He is an angel on earth.

Today he posted a photo on Facebook that made me cry. It's a photo of him at the bedside of his dying cousin. My 6'4" burly and bearded friend was photographed embracing the fragile emaciated body of his cancer-stricken cousin and lifelong buddy. The smaller one is resting his head in my friend's strong arm. They both have their eyes closed with smiles that appear somewhat defeated, yet peaceful.

I am moved to tears just about every time I think about it today. I can feel the gratitude of the dying man to have the love, care and comfort of his strong, healthy cousin. Just being there must mean everything to him. To know someone cares that much. To not be alone when it counts most. To help someone pass must be one of the most difficult and emotional experiences of a lifetime. But perhaps it can be a beautiful thing too. Especially if it's peaceful and painless.

We can only hope that we each have our own angel by our side to help ease our passing. I know that that is important to me. And I would like to help all the people I love in the same way. It's the ultimate final gift, wouldn't you say?

No comments: