Sunday, June 12, 2011

learning what you mean to people

This shouldn't surprise me, but oddly it does, sort of. It's something you kind of know in the back of your mind, but not something you feel very often...

What you mean to people.

It's common to feel your importance as it's reflected back from your children. Especially when they're little, they neeeed you and they appreciate you, and absolutely thrive on your love. They show it often. But adults rarely do, unless they are lovers, of course.

Because I am about to move far, far away, I've started saying some goodbyes. The farewell celebrations have begun, and I am wrapping up loose ends one after another. It is in these times that people reach out in unexpected ways.

The company I work for has a strict policy against going away parties. It was my current boss of 3 years, whom I've often referred to as a witch, that threatened to fire us if we so much as brought a cake into the office for a coworker who had resigned. A pretty strong statement.

So you can imagine my reaction when I found out there was going to be a surprise party for ME after work one night at a winery. And I was absolutely floored when I found out it was my boss's idea. W...o...w. I turned around, buried my head in the computer and got a little choked up where no one could see me. It means something.

This weekend I had my last visit with my naturopath. I haven't blogged about him, but I'll tell ya, he has had a real impact on my life and my health. I love the guy. I'd like to stuff him in my pocket and take him with me to California.

My health is just about perfect because of his incredible knowledge, skill and CARE. He knows my weak spots, the way I think, how I sleep, even my bowel habits. And he's brought me through my life's most challenging times--my separation, dealing with the disappointment of Cam (heartbreak!!), and rejection by my daughter Maria (more heartbreak!), choosing between Rob and Andy...the list goes on. He's helped me heal many times. And my daughters too, on a lesser scale.

When the visit neared an end, he asked for a hug (which is very unusual for him--he's like a little brainiac scientist). Of course, I gave him one. I said how we'd been through a lot together. He said Yeah, you and Christie were my first patients. Nine years ago... He thanked me for those 9 years.

That kinda floored me. We said our goodbyes and he left to see the next patient. As soon as he left the room I wept. I put on my big dark sunglasses and shot out of there so no one would see me bawl like a baby. Which I did all the way home. Gosh...

No comments: