Saturday, July 10, 2010

a golden night


The party lived up to its fancy invitation, a square-shaped gold card encased in a transparent envelope also flecked with gold. CooOool...it prompted a quick rsvp from me.

I immediately thought of inviting an old best friend, Wendy, who I used to work with and was a great mentor to me. She lived in a town very near the party location. This would be a great excuse to finally get together after 2 years of drifting into our separate, busy lives.

We met on a nearby dead end street just before so that we could walk in together. We exchanged hugs, headed into the party while launching straight into marathon conversation about the happenings in our lives. Yakkity yak like there's no tomorrow...meanwhile we're in awe at the beauty of this estate where the party is being held.

Impeccably maintained, this mansion is a masterpiece inside, with winding staircases, gorgeous woodwork and inlaid wood floors, chandeliers, fancy furniture and stained glass curved windows...wow. All this set on who knows how many acres of manicured grounds, AND perfectly situated on the edge of the lake. And I musn't forget the food stations and free-pouring cab merlot. This was my kind of partay!

Too bad Wendy and I were absorbed in our own little world. We reminisced about our escapades working and behaving badly together. Of course we talked about our kids and the men in my life (not hers, she's still with her hubby). She asked all about Andy, plus I filled her in on Rob. She respected my confusion and never once tried to tell me what I should do.

Perhaps the best morsel I took away from this magical evening (besides a most delicious cupcake) was hope for finding a better work situation. She had reminded me of the way it felt when we'd worked together, when I worked for someone I respected and admired--someone who had knowledge and was willing to share it, to be appreciated and valued, and working together to accomplish great things, and to celebrate them together by closing the office early on a Friday afternoon and sharing a bottle of red wine.

I felt uplifted out of my recent career slump. Wendy had paid me compliments about how great I was at my job and assured me I would be able to find better job where I was appreciated, because employers need good people like me. She gave me something to aim for in my career. Perhaps I'll have the energy to start working on my resume again!

No comments: