Sunday, April 10, 2011

open house - weird and wonderful


My Open House was a success. Instead of the thunderstorms that were predicted, we had gorgeous sunny and warm weather...which made my deck look even more appealing than it already is.

It started slow. In fact for the first hour I only had one visitor. And it was the same woman who I showed the house to earlier this week. She'd come back with 2 girlfriends (good sign!). I talked to her quite a bit again and I know that she is interested, but her offer would be conditional on the sale of her house.

In the 2nd hour I had about 5 more visitors. One in particular seemed very enthusiastic about my house. Her first name was the same as mine, even spelled the same, which is a bit different than most. We joked that we wouldn't forget each other's name. Again, she was a woman about my same age and lived nearby, was splitting up with her boyfriend, and had 2 kids. Wow, is this kind of weird?

Oh, it only gets weirder. So as I hand her my brochure with all the house info and photos on it, I also jot down my email address and phone number. Later she called me. She was sort of slow to ask, but she said is your name (insert my 1st and last name here)?

I said yes, why? She said I saw it in your email address and do you know that that was my exact maiden name? I said you're kidding me! And they're even spelled the same...wow, that's really strange. And she further commented that it must be a sign that she is supposed to buy my house. (No argument from me.) And I dared go on to ask her what her middle name was. When she answered Maria I actually felt spooked. That is my middle name!

I have never experienced something quite as eerie as that in my life--at least that I can recall. How weird is that?? Imagine if she went back to her maiden name (she is divorced) and bought my house. Could you imagine how confusing the paperwork would be??

Yes, it's a little creepy, but mostly I am really happy because now I know I have 2 people that are really interested in my house! And this one said she would be able to give me an unconditional offer. Woohoo!

No comments: