Wednesday, August 19, 2009

anew


The day after Maria's birthday party, I called her to tell her that I had the check ready for her university tuition. She said she would stop by to pick it up and she asked what I was doing (tonight). This was a highly unusual question coming from her.

A half hour later Maria was here and I soon got the sense that she wanted to hang out. With me! I asked if she was hungry and I threw together some food. She talked about a lot of stuff, even asked me how my day was. All these niceties came as such a pleasant surprise that I found myself asking "Who is this person?" It was incredible and wonderful. I enjoyed every second of it.

She left the table after eating, grabbed one of my treasured photo albums (of the kids when they were little) and plopped herself down on the couch. I joined her and together we leafed through all 4 volumes of her childhood. I can't tell you how rewarding that felt, for her to want to open up the past, and relive the fondest memories.

Maria mentioned that she'd read the letter I'd given her the other night. She said it was nice and it had actually made her want to have children someday. Although that hadn't been my intent with the letter, it certainly sounded positive and I was glad it had left her feeling warm and fuzzy. I was touched.

Maria left around 9:30pm. I went up to my room and just stared at the wall in amazement at what had just occurred. It was a bit like a dream. It was certainly a gift. I emailed her, writing just a simple Thanks. That was nice.

The next morning I got an email reply from her. A long, heartfelt message that was very well written, I must say. She wants us to forgive and accept each other and work towards healing the past. Music to my ears. But my favorite part of her message read

Despite all of the hurtful things that we have done & said to each other, i know that we will always be there for each other in the end. Like you said, love like this never dies. I love you and miss you.

No comments: