Saturday, August 15, 2009

maria turns 18


Tonight I'm thinking of Maria. She just left after spending 9 hours here. Nine hours willingly spent at my house. I like that.

Today we celebrated her 18th birthday. I threw a party for her. I prepared a feast for my family and then we talked and just relaxed together. Simple. Nice.

What's interesting is that Maria decided to stay long after the rest of the family had left. We rented a movie and watched it, Maria on one side of me, Christie on the other. No attitude, no arguments, just simple, pleasant times.

There were days I couldn't imagine experiencing something like this again. We've been through a lot, Maria and I.

I sent her off with a special gift, a letter I had written to her 11 days before she was born. I had written it with the intention of saving it for her 18th birthday. It spoke all my heartfelt thoughts about having my first baby, the excitement of welcoming her into my life, and all my wishes and dreams for her. She will read it later when she is alone. I hope it moves her.

No comments: