Sunday, March 28, 2010

the portal


The long range forecast is calling for really warm temps on Easter weekend. That brings on a whole slew of exciting thoughts about how to spend the long weekend.

Rob emailed me at work today and said he wants to go back to the picnic table with me. That's where it all began. I mean, that's the spot where we first touched in an intimate way. It's like our souls first recognized each other at that moment.

It was about 3 1/2 years ago. It was a warm September day, the last time I decided to play hooky. He was on vacation and I decided to join him on a hike on a beautiful fall day. So I called in sick.

Rob and I met up, grabbed a coffee to go, and headed to one of his favorite hiking spots. We hiked for about an hour, down a gorge, over an obstacle course of tree trunks and the like, found our way across a stream to a massive flat rock jutting out of the water where we could relax and bask in the sunshine.

You have to remember here that Rob and I were just friends then. I was going through my separation, but I was in love with Cam (my first soulmate who, very inconveniently, lived on the opposite corner of the continent.) Rob and I hung out and kept each other company. He always flirted with me, but respected my situation.

So we get to this rock and take off our jackets, shoes and socks. We prepare to lie down and sun for awhile. I look over and he's taken his shirt off. I was a bit struck by his nice physique and for the first time I felt like touching him. But a guy in a red jacket kept hiking back and forth behind us with his dog running around, and I found it very distracting. Besides, we aren't to the picnic table yet!

Fast foward an hour. We've hiked our way out of the woods and back to the car. Rob drives us to a park near the lake. We get out and stumble upon a picnic table. He climbs up and sits on top, his feet on the seat. I walked up to him and sat on the seat between his legs, facing him.

I had an insatiable urge to be close, to touch him. His stomach was in front of my face and it pulled me to him like a magnet. I distinctly remember putting my face against his blue t-shirt. Mmmmm. It was so soft against my cheek, and warm, and I could feel the hardness of his body on the other side of the fabric.

I wanted more, I had to feel his skin. So I backed away and pulled his shirt up until his stomach was bare. I placed my face against him again and we were skin to skin.

As I rested my head against him, I felt his arms go around my head and shoulders. We held still and breathed in the moment. There was a huge exchange of energy at that instant. It was like we were being sucked into each other. It was like we'd found a portal.

Sitting in the car afterwards, Rob looked at me and said that was the most intimate moment I've ever had without sex.....or with.

The picnic table has been symbolic of our spiritual connection and we've referred to it many times over the course of our relationship. It will be interesting to visit the spot where it all began.

No comments: