Saturday, March 6, 2010

maria update


It's been awhile since I blogged about either of my daughters. Maria, my oldest at 18, has presented me with more challenges in my life than any other person.

Although we haven't resolved all our issues, I have found more peace lately as she matures and her life progresses.

Now in her 2nd semester at university, she is settling into a groove. Whereas in her 1st semester she thought she couldn't handle it and university life just sucked, she is now showing admirable signs of persistence and drive. She is handling her workload at school, and even talking about a master's degree.

It's nice to see that her feistiness as a baby/toddler/child/teenager has paid off. She may not be as independent as I was at her age, but she's certainly more goal-oriented and decisive. She's no pushover. I'm sure she'll do well in the workforce. It's her personal relationships that I worry about. ANYWAY...

She just landed a part-time job, something she's wanted for over a year, but couldn't seem to find. She has a fondness for the finer things in life, so I am glad she can start having some of those. Her dad and I haven't been able to afford any extravagance since he lost his job last June.

Maria is also getting along so much better with Christie, my 14 year old. The tension between them has subsided now that they do not live together. They appreciate each other more. I absolutely love hearing them in conversation, and laughing. It warms my heart. I so value my relationship with my sister and I wanted them to have the same close bond as I did/do.

I can only hope that things keep improving for Maria. Despite her issues with me, I want her to find her own peace and success in life. ..even if I have to sacrifice having her complete love and affection. It's been 5 long years since she let me hug her. But as long as she is thriving and seemingly happy, I can be happy too.

No comments: