Monday, October 12, 2009

does this email to Andy make sense?

Dearest Andy,
I am worried that you're upset after the email I sent you yesterday. The last thing I wanted to do was upset you, especially because you had the wall painting event, and I wanted you to be feeling up for that. I hope to God my email didn't mess you up. I tried to make sure you knew how I felt about you so you could focus on that and be your usual brilliant self last night.

I am thinking that since you haven't responded, either you're afraid to know more about my situation or you don't like it and just want it to go away. Andy, there's no doubt in my mind that I love you. I think I've been pretty clear that I want to explore a future with you. I am already thinking it into existence. WE are making our dream come true together. This is going to take some time. Maybe not a lot, but some....In the meantime I just want to be honest about my current situation. I need to be understood.

Let me explain. Back in August when we got together, you knew that I had a relationship and that I couldn't be your girlfriend. I let you kiss me because I wanted you to. And if it had been one or two kisses, it never would have crossed any boundaries. But the way we kissed, and the things we felt that night definitely moved us into new territory. I expected to be able to manage my new feelings.

After you left, I still felt you. You had inspired beautiful thoughts and feelings in me which I shared with you. I got very excited about you, your life, and what it might be like to work with you, live with you. We talked more often and we became close. The night we stumbled into phone sex, I realized I had to make a change in my life.

I went to Rob in the following days and told him that I needed to change the nature of our relationship. We've been together for 3 years. And although I had dated a couple other guys within that time, for the most part, we were in a committed, exclusive relationship. I told him I needed the freedom to explore a new kind of life. I told him that although I was intrigued by you, I was also feeling drawn in a new direction for other reasons (work, social, emotional). Long story short, he was hurt.

Rob and I are friends first and foremost. That's how it began with us. Besides my children, Rob is my only personal connection to the area. He's the only one I have to help me out here. We spend a lot of time together and yes, we have sex. He and I have dealt with this issue a couple times before, but it is bigger this time as I had never planned to be intimate with someone else before. Plus I am seriously considering leaving the area. He understands what I am asking for and knows I have to do what makes me happy, but he's not happy about it. On the other hand, he doesn't want to lose me from his life, and is willing to hang in as long as he can, even under these circumstances.

So what does all this mean to you? Well, hopefully you realize the impact you've had on my life and the risks I am willing to take to have a life with you. But that being said, I am still living, working and raising a daughter here and I need to maintain some sense of stability until I can make a move. I still need a friend closeby, someone to hang out with, someone to help when I need, and I still need sex. I may seem to be a totally independent and strong woman, but I am fragile too, as we all are sometimes only a thread away from total chaos.

As right as it feels to pursue a new life with you, we still don't know enough about each other. We need to spend some time together. Even then, it is sometimes scary to imagine making such a complete change. Giving up my job, my benefits, selling my house, leaving my family and a life I've known for forever it seems, moving my daughter and myself not only to a new country, but 2500 miles away where we will know no one but you.

But I also see it as a huge and exciting opportunity for both Danielle and me. I have never felt so compelled to do something like this before. There has never been another person in my life who gave me such reason to believe that I can have it. Thinking about it sort of produces an energy all of its own. But in order to pull it off, I need us to keep on believing that we can, and will, have this together. Our combined power can make it happen.

I need us to stay close to keep up the momentum. I need to know that you understand me and accept me. I am sensitive to the fact that you don't want to know details when it involves another man. But I have to be open about the big picture, and can't feel like I am hiding it from you. Even on a day to day basis, I need to be able to say things like 'Rob's coming over later'. We have to have enough trust and love to get us through.

Can you do this? I need to know what you're thinking. What can you handle and what can you not? What are your fears? What do you know in your heart? Darlin, I need to know you inside and out, so please don't be afraid to expose yourself to me. Even if you're not clear, blather on to me and you can sort it out later. I just ask that you speak out of love, as I will always try to do the same for you.

No comments: