Wednesday, October 21, 2009

like a honeymoon


Rob took me on a consolation getaway this weekend. I say consolation because he had offered to take me to Florida for a week, but I couldn't in good conscience accept such a large gift considering the state of our relationship. I did agree to a one-night getaway to a dreamy location about 2 hours away.

The weather was just perfect, a sunny and balmy fall day, the colours of the trees at their peak. I'd been to this place before for work, but Rob had not. I knew he would love it there because of the falls, the woods and the rural location, and I was right.

It was a day and night filled with greatness. We hiked and stumbled upon an art gallery that was so alive with character and painters doing their stuff while we watched. Gorgeous scenery, sun beaming and water sparkling. Our dinner was tres romantic and the wine was as fabulous as the food.

I believe Rob used this trip to his advantage. Rob was determined to let me know how he truly felt about me. He was expressive beyond anything he'd ever said or done before. He even mentioned not once, but twice, how this felt like a honeymoon. That's a word he never brought up before because it is too damn close to marriage, and we just didn't go there in conversation. I think he has realized what a mistake that was.

At dinner he'd forgotten his glasses, so he handed me his credit card and asked me to take care of the bill. Even to sign for him. You may not think much of this act, but I'll tell ya it was big. First of all, we usually split the cost of things, so this felt really different. Second, him expecting me to sign his name, was like, being married. It actually made my heart jump, it felt so different.

Moving onward, we are up in our room christening the bed. He's on top of me, moving slowly, looking into my eyes, when he says I just want you to know that I really love you and if you're ready, I'm ready to have a relationship at any level that you want.

OK, so that's big too. About 6 months too late, but I can definitely appreciate the sentiment.

And THEN, he made some reference to taking me to Santorini some day.

OK, you have to realize that that's the clincher here. That basically means I will marry you.

So, yes, I am stunned, and scared that he will propose to me in this bed, on this trip, and I will have to say.....honey, sorry, no. But he must have seen the look on my face cuz he said don't worry I'm not going to ask you to marry me.

Phew!!! Since the pressure was off, I was very much able to play along in our fantasy honeymoon. And I must admit it was pretty fun, and sexy. We made a lot of love in that room. The photo is mine (for a change). It's the view from the balcony of the room we stayed in. Makes a nice honeymoon spot, dontcha think?

No comments: