Sunday, January 10, 2010

best day ever with dad


I made my bi-weekly trek to my hometown to visit Dad who's been in the hospital since July. Last time I saw him he expressed interest in learning how to use a computer (it's true, he's never even touched a computer).

So I took along my laptop...along with 3 of his favorite baseball caps, the Sunday paper and a package of fig newtons. Dad was finishing his lunch in the common room, and I pulled up a chair beside him. He was in a great mood. I'm not sure I ever heard him with so much to say that was relevant. Some of the anti-anxiety drugs he'd been on over the years made him babble endlessly--usually about his knee problems. UGH.

Today he seemed to be enjoying the lighter side of life. He even made some jokes that were pretty clever, so I expect the medication he's on is working. I was not only relieved, but entertained. We talked for over half an hour before I even pulled out the laptop.

It was funny. He stared at it awhile, almost in admiration. Maybe out of respect because it was not his own. He is a real camera buff and probably didn't appreciate other people handling his camera without asking first. So I invited him to touch it. I had to really think about how to explain the very basic basics about computers. I didn't want to make him feel stupid or quell his interest with too much information.

I opened up Word and hammered out a sentence. I showed him how easy it was to change the copy (which he heard as "coffee" at first--ha!) He did a little maneuvering of his own on the keyboard and seemed completely in awe. It was pretty exciting to see it through his eyes. I felt his joy.

He was especially inspired seeing photos on my screen. The resolution is so crisp and the colors so vivid, not to mention all the options for making imperfect photos perfect. Being an amateur photographer himself, he started to realize the possibilities for himself.

We really connected on this visit. I shared something of huge value to him, and I felt that. I felt his appreciation and realized the potential impact that my visit had on the rest of his life. It gave him something real to look forward to, determination to learn, and a way to access the rest of the world if it turns out he can never walk again...which likely won't happen considering that he's planning on having knee replacements.

I made my dad very happy and I can't describe how good it made me feel. It reached something way down deep in me as if it filled a previously unreachable spot in my heart.

No comments: